It is a topical solution available over-the-counter in 2% and 5% strengths.
Minoxidil is effective in some people, moderately effective in some, and ineffective in others.
When effective, minoxidil can retard hair loss and stimulate new hair growth. Its mechanism of action is not well understood.
Best results with minoxidil are often achieved by combining the topical solution with hair restoration surgery.
It is an oral medication that treats the root cause of male – pattern hair loss by inhibiting the activity of the hormone responsible for hair loss. Finasteride is available only by prescription. Finasteride is usually not prescribed for women; women who may become pregnant are at risk for a certain type of birth defect in the unborn child.
Finasteride works best for early to moderate degrees of hair loss. Men with extensive hair loss are unlikely to have much regrowth. Regrowth associated with finasteride is better over the crown of the scalp than at the frontal receding hairline. When used in conjunction with hair transplantation, finasteride may prevent further hair loss while transplantation fills in areas such as the frontal hairline.
- On arrival, you will be greeted by our receptionist and asked to complete a Medical History form
- You will then be welcomed by Dr Lanka and taken into a private room to discuss your enquiries, assess you and determine the best options suited to you
- You will be offered a cooling-off period to make your decision
- You will be given a consent form to complete and sign, then Dr Lanka will carry out the procedure on a mutually agreed date if you wish to go ahead with the procedure
- You will be sent an aftercare form which you should follow strictly for the best results
- We will book you in for a two week review, to check up on you and how you are healing and discuss any further treatment
Disclaimer: Please be aware that results and benefits may vary from patient to patient taking into consideration factors such as age, lifestyle and medical history.