The FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) or Strip method involves the grafts being surgically obtained by removing a strip of scalp from the back of the head. The gap is then closed with stiches. This does result in a fine linear scar where the strip was removed from, which is easily concealed if your hair is kept longer than about 1cm.
The strip is then dissected under a microscope to produce the individual grafts that are then transferred into the recipient transplant area.
A pre-op consultation and blood test are required prior to transplant and the procedure takes around 6-12 hours depending on the number of grafts.
FUT generally has a longer healing period, as the scar where the donor hair is removed can vary in length depending on the number of grafts required. On average, the wound will close in 7 to 10 days.
During a FUT transplant, an exceptionally skill surgeon removes a thin strip of hair from the donor area in a way that ensure minimal risks and damage to that area, as well as the donor hairs. Follicles are then transferred to the hair technician who separates the follicle and prepares them for re-insertion. Whilst this is happening, the surgeon will create thousand of tiny incisions to ensure maximum survival of the grafts. The hair follicle is then implanted into recipient area on your scalp in groups of one to four hairs, like natural hair growth, enabling the smallest incision possible to minimise trauma. This procedure is minimally invasive, meaning the patient is awake the entire time, under local anaesthetic to numb the area.
Depending upon the number of grafts needed, the procedure time could span 6 to 10 hours. All transplant surgeries can vary depending on the size of the area and how many grafts are required.
Once you have undergone FUT, the results are permanent. While the initial transplanted hair will shed a few weeks after treatment, it will grow back strong and healthy within 12 months.
FUT treatments are not generally covered by insurance when used for cosmetic purposes. Check with your insurance carrier for coverage details.
- On arrival, you will be greeted by our receptionist and asked to complete a Medical History form
- You will then be welcomed by Dr Lanka and taken into a private room to discuss your enquiries, assess you and determine the best options suited to you
- You will be offered a cooling-off period to make your decision
- You will be given a consent form to complete and sign, and necessary blood tests arranged
- Dr R Lanka along with his team will carry out the procedure on a mutually agreed date if you wish to go ahead with the procedure
- You will be sent an aftercare form which you should follow strictly for the best results
- We will book you in for a two week review, to check up on you and how you are healing and discuss any further treatment
Contact us for Prices
Disclaimer: Please be aware that results and benefits may vary from patient to patient taking into consideration factors such as age, lifestyle and medical history.